This is one of the best design lessons you can ever learn. Straights vs. curves.
gfghhff those illustrationsss hffff
i always keep this in mind when designing characters or just drawing anything. it really is one the best things you can ever know.
aaahhh!! So beautiful and insightful
The book does have a basic breakdown of the hands, but I felt that references like these were much more needed.
From Graphic Sha’s “How to Draw Manga: Drawing Yaoi”
Some everyday things you can include in your writing to make your character more beliveable:
• Most knives and scissors have the edge on the opposite side. We use ‘blunt’ or customized blades most of the time. May sound as a little thing, but really annoying. This also goes for swords, bows and some other weapons.
• Left handed people need left handed music instruments (guitars, violins…)
• Left handed writers tend to ruin fountain pen nibs, because they have to push them instead of pulling it on the paper. They also have to write in a weird postition because otherwise they’d smudge the ink. Some of them write from the top to the bottom, even if they use european languages.
• being left handed was considered ‘devil’s mark’ or ‘wrong’ and people were forced to use their non-dominant hand until very recently. Keep this in mind if you writing historical fiction.
• Left handed people tend to do circular movements in the opposite direction. If they have to draw the circle or seasons, they mostly draw it in a mirrored way. This also cause small everyday issues with locking or opening doors or using analog-style clocks.
• In swordfights or fencing, left handed have an advantage because most people train against righties.
• Left handed people put the computer mouse on the opposite side, and we have to switch the button settings.
• Left handed people normally eat with their left hand, so they make the table the opposite way and they may accidentaly bump elbows with right handed at the table.
I, S am left handed. Although a lot of those points make sense to me, I think I need to make a point. Not everyone is this extreme with their leftieness. For example I write left handed but I do everything with my right. I throw a ball with my right, play cricket with my right. It depends on the person.
The most annoying thing is can openers. I can’t use them, it takes me ages to open the hotdogs as they don’t seem to work for me. Knifes aren’t a problem for me as I use my right hand.
Followers? Any experiences to add?
I’m the same as S here. While I’m a left handed, I do most things with the right side of my body. And the mouse of my computer is on the common side.
Something that really annoys me is handwriting. I don’t like having to write in a weird, awkward position, so I just don’t, and the left side of my hand gets dirty as hell.
I’m also able to write from right to left, that way you can only read things while holding them next to a mirror.
Yeah, this shouldn’t be taken as hard fact. Left handed people are varied.
I would say keep in mind how often a left handed person has to either change or adapt for the majority of people in the world being right handed. A left handed person, for instance, might use a right handed guitar just because they were forced to. I can’t use scissors or a computer mouse with my left hand because the tools I was learning with at the time were designed for a right hand.
This also comes up when learning something new. If someone is holding something in their right hand, I might have to flip the entire lesson around and try to mirror that with opposite hand positions. It can be tricky.
Also, people really do say quite often, “You are left handed!”
And I found this very helpful just by looking at it. I was never good at coloring gold.
HEY LICIA I found a thing :v
This is great! But also… weird. I don’t think of color in on-the-top terms. I think of it in underneath terms? Maybe I’ll screencap it and reverse it, lol.
You can thank Joakim Hellstedt for these, he’s the one who pointed these out to me. ♥
Thank Shaddy Safadi most of all for creating these!! It’s awesome so many artist are so generous and sharing so much information these days on their craft. Gotta love this community!
Opportunities come to those who don’t give up. Keep on drawing guys!
This will introduce you to a color you’ve probably never seen before.
True “Cyan”. Usually most people find it an ugly color, or just an ordinary light blue. BUT! Computers and TVs dilute the actual appearance of cyan and when you see it, its fucking awesome.
SO! Stare at the white dot for 2 minutes. Just as long as you can. The circle will get fuzzy and youll start to see a ring forming. Back your head up slowly and look around the edge of the circle.
Craziest, best blue Ive ever seen.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE. MAKES IT 13249140192 TIMES BETTER
oh my goodness it’s so pretty ;_; i want everything to be that color. it’s like the caribbean.
the bluest blue ever
that is so awesome oh my god.
It’s like my brain had an orgasm and then drank a glass of the best tasting water ever.
damn now I am seeing this circle everywhere *_*